Just when we thought it was safe to get back on the internet, here comes Pinterest, a social media site designed to let users organize all their favorite web-finds and share with friends.
So what’s the appeal? Here’s what we love about Pinterest:
Better Than Bookmarks
Bookmarks can be a great way to keep track of favorite sites on a specific browser, but what happens when you get home and want to take another look at the recipe you found while visiting a friend? Putting a “pin” in that recipe means you can find it again when you need it.
Helping Us Organize
Through the use of boards, we can organize our pins into custom topics such as “recipes,” “books” or “art.” Planning an event such as a birthday or wedding? Using a board to keep track of all your pins makes planning easier.
By connecting with other Pinterest users, we find inspiration served up each time we log in. Use Pintrest’s search capability to find specific pins – for example, if you’re looking for a great gyro recipe, you’ll find a wealth of choices on Pinterest.
In addition to the many individuals using Pinterest, several of our favorite companies and publications have been sharing their online finds. Here are some of our favorites:
• Visit Maryland – Pinning the best of Maryland by the Maryland Office of Tourism
• Cool Mom Picks – Pinning “The coolest gifts, gear, designs and trends for kids and the grownups who love them”
• Entrepreneur Magazine – Not just for personal use, Entrepreneur pins items designed to “inspire, inform and celebrate” business owners.
• Food Network – So many recipes, so little time!
• Real Simple – Pins from the folks at Real Simple Magazine
Have you tried Pinterest? What are your favorite things to “pin?”