5 smart ways to get your brain in tip-top shape
With freezing temperatures and shorter days, winter may not seem like the ideal time for exercise for physical fitness. It is, however, one of the best times to get one of your most important body parts in shape — your brain. Keeping your brain active is a great way to maintain good mental health, enhance your memory and improve your problem solving ability.
Here are five easy ways to get your brain in tip-top shape this winter.
- Read. There are many benefits of reading. One of the biggest is that it can help you relax and reduce stress, which can take a toll on your physical and mental wellbeing. Reading can also expand your knowledge, increase your vocabulary and even boost your memory. Invite your friends and family members to read along with you by starting a book club. Be sure to select a challenging and interesting book, since the harder the book, the harder your brain will work.
- Learn a new skill or language. One sure way to beat the doldrums of winter and sharpen your mental fitness is to take up a new skill or hobby. Consider learning to play an instrument or taking dance lessons. Another way to stimulate your brain is to learn a new language, which can expose you to new ways of thinking and expressing yourself.
- Exercise your body. Exercise doesn’t just help strengthen your body; it can also help strengthen your mind. Many people find yoga a great activity not only for getting in physical shape, but also for much-needed relaxation, concentration and stress relief.
- Start writing. Everyone has a story. Take some time this winter and write yours. If you’re not sure where to begin, try keeping a daily journal of your thoughts. A popular medium for writing today is blogging, where people share their thoughts and ideas about a topic they are passionate or knowledgeable about. Whether your passion is gardening or successful parenting, start sharing your insights with a daily or weekly blog.
- Play brain games. You’re never too old to play games; at least the kind that help stimulate brain activity. Take some time each day to take on a challenging crossword or Sudoku puzzle, or even to play online brain games. You can learn more about brain games at lumosity.com.
So what are you waiting for? Grab a book and start your brain workout today!