Are you looking for a loving pet to come home to after a long day at work? A wagging tail waiting by the door to greet you? Then, check out this week’s Friday Focus, The Humane Society! The Humane Society works hard every day to help rescue and provide care for animals in need. They strive to protect each and every animal they can from harm’s way. We spoke to Jill Lee, Vice President of the Humane Society of Calvert County, to discover how they reach out to the community for support in finding their animals a compassionate and dedicated home.
Q: Tell us about your organization (who you serve, what you do, etc.)
A: We are a no kill non-profit rescue serving Southern Maryland. Our mission is to improve our community for animals and people by: sheltering and protecting animals from harm; placing them into caring, responsible homes; increase awareness through humane education and community outreach; endeavoring to reduce animal over population and to eliminate cruelty; serving as an advocate for animals by promoting humane standards and enhancing the relationship between animals and people.
Q: What is your favorite “moment” (example of how your organization helped)?
A: We asked the community during the last blizzard to please foster our dogs for the weekend, as we thought we might lose power. The response was AMAZING! The phone rang off the hook for 2 days. The majority of our dogs spent the weekend with their temporary fosters. We received pictures during the blizzard weekend of our dogs snuggling by fireplaces and hanging with the families on the couch! The best part was that over 7 dogs ended up being adopted by the temporary homes!
Q: What is your biggest challenge?
A: Our biggest challenge is funding and finding enough volunteers
Q: Are there any upcoming events?
A: Yes! We have a big fundraiser night called Rock n Roll for Rescues featuring the Fabulous Hubcaps and Calvert’s own Elvis. Event is Friday night April 1st at the American Legion in Chesapeake Beach.
Tickets are available on our website.
Q: How can people get involved with your organization?
A: We need the following help: Contact info Jill@hsccrescue.com
- Dog walking. We have volunteers come in to our kennel at 2210 Dalrymple Rd in Sunderland every day from 11-2 to walk, play and spend quality time with all of our dogs.
- Help at dog adoption events: We bring dogs to Walmart, Petsmart, Petco and Peppers Pet Pantry. We need volunteers to bring dogs and staff the event.
- Vet appointment shuttles: We need volunteers to bring our dogs back and forth to local vets for Spay and Neuter and other checkups.
- Help at fundraising events: We need help at our 5K in the fall and our Hubcaps event to staff the ticket table, help with silent auction and more.
- Have a Birthday party and ask guests to bring donations to HSCC in lieu of Birthday gifts.
- Eagle Scout projects: We have an ongoing list of projects we need done at our kennel that are perfect Eagle Scout projects!
- Grant writing.
- See website for other ideas on how you can help, such as registering for Amazon Smile. A portion of your sale will be donated to us.