Q: Tell us about your organization (who you serve, what you do, etc.)
The Community Foundation of Southern Maryland builds charitable funds that support community needs and opportunities in Charles, Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties. We offer donors a wide range of endowed and non-endowed fund vehicles, and we work closely with families, individuals, businesses, estate attorneys and financial planners to design gift plans that fit every economic situation. Our goals are to ensure that donors receive the most benefit from their charitable contributions and that their philanthropic dollars are used to the fullest potential. The vision of the Community Foundation of Southern Maryland is to make Southern Maryland the best place to live and give.
Q: What is your favorite “moment” (example of how your organization helped)?
An anonymous donor created The Opportunity Fund, which was set up to support the residents of Charles County. We recently surprised The Center for Children with a $10,000 grant check from The Opportunity Fund and the Executive Director, Cathy Meyers, got teary eyed. For every nonprofit every penny is counted and to receive a surprise $10,000 donation is huge and says someone believes in me.
Q: What is your biggest challenge?
Finding donors who will support our mission or give unrestricted donations to the Foundations. Unrestricted funds allow the foundation to get the job done.
Q: How can people get involved with your organization?
The Community Foundation invites all who are interested to get involved by volunteering.
Volunteering opportunities include
- Member of Board of Director (3 year term)
- Join a Committee:
- Development – help with fundraising and special events;
- Investment – manage the Financial advisors and compare investments;
- Finance & Administration – handles budget, general operating;
- Grants – review grants and make recommendations for Field of Interests or Unrestricted Funds
- Scholarships – review scholarship applications and make recommendations;
- Marketing/Communication – increase awareness of the Foundation
- General office work.