Is there anything more delicious than barbeque? Whatever your opinion, there is no question that family barbeque recipes are coveted and often the cause for fierce, yet friendly, competition! This season we’re eating ribs, crab legs, burgers and veggies from the grill and sharing recipes among friends.
Here is one our favorite recipes – CBTC Soft Shell Crabs
- 1 small dice avocado
- 2 cups small dice ripe mango, pineapple or strawberry (use your imagination as to how these choice ingredients change the flavor)
- 1 cup tomato concasse (or good old fashioned canned tomatoes, strained)
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno (if you have heat-sensitive eaters – try pickled jalapeno or mild green chilies)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (fresh is always best)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, dried is okay but not as flavorful
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher salt) if using regular table salt – use less of it
- 8 soft shell crabs, cleaned and patted dry
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for brushing (don’t use
- 1 tablespoon (or more) of Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Limes and olive oil for drizzling
- SALSA PREP
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the avocado, fruit of choice, tomato, red onion, garlic and your desired “hot”. Toss. Add the lime juice over the salsa and add the cilantro, parsley olive oil and salt and stir gently to blend. Allow the salsa to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature before serving. (Do not refrigerate, it zaps the taste)
- CRAB PREP
Prepare the gas or charcoal grill for grilling over high heat. Brush the crabs with the olive oil and season. Place the crabs on the grill and cook, turning often (you never hear this for grilling steaks – so pay attention at the grill) every 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and serve right away with the salsa – yum!
Rather than spice ours up too much – we like to serve our crabs family style on a table loaded with spicy dipping and hot sauces. Enjoy!
What is your favorite summer barbeque recipe? Please share!